Nashville Academy of Medicine History

“No city in the United States has a more fascinating medical history. Practically from its beginnings, Nashville has been a fertile ground of American medical education, practice, and research. An essential part of this story are the physicians, hospitals, and laboratories who have contributed to Nashville’s life and times.” ~ Nashville Medicine, A History, by James Summerville

1821 The first medical association in Tennessee, was founded in Nashville on March 5, 1821, by seven physicians in the log courthouse on the Public Square.  The president was Dr. Felix Robertson, the first male born in Nashville, and in 1827 he was elected Mayor of Nashville. The first secretary was was Dr. James Roane, and the other five included Dr. Boyd McNairy, A.G. Goodlett, James Overton, John Waters, and R.A. Higginbotham.
1828 The organization took the name “The Nashville Medical Society.”
1830 Dr. Felix Robertson and others helped found the Medical Society of Tennessee, which changed its name to the Tennessee Medical Association in 1963.
1853 A group of doctors formed the Davidson County Medical Society in June with Dr. Wilson Yandell serving as president.
1867 Paul F. Eve, MD was the first physician from Nashville to serve as president of the American Medical Association. Nashville has had more presidents of the AMA than any other city in the United States.
1893 Nashville Academy of Medicine and Davidson County Medical Society merge
1906 The Nashville Medical Society was chartered on Sept. 4, 1906, by the state of Tennessee as the “Nashville Academy of Medicine & Davidson County Medical Society.”
1950 The Nashville Academy of Medicine employed its first executive secretary, Mr. Jack E. Ballentine who had worked for Aladdin Industries and the Chamber of Commerce.
1975 The Nashville Academy of Medicine was located at 205 23rd Ave. N. This structure was erected in 1975 and was the home of the Nashville Academy of Medicine until 2009 when the property was sold.
2005 Bridges to Care Plus was founded as a charity care program serving Nashville and Davidson County Residents. More than 1,100 physicians and members of the Nashville Academy of Medicine have volunteered their time through this program. Bridges to Care Plus changed its name in 2013 to Project Access Nashville Specialty Care to align with 70 similar programs across the country.
2010 The Nashville Academy of Medicine moved its offices to 3301 West End Avenue, Suite 100 where it currently resides. This structure was built in 1910. The Academy is listed as an official Nashville historical site by the Metropolitan Historical Commission.
2015 Project Access Nashville Specialty Care (Formerly Bridges to Care Plus) celebrated its 10th anniversary. On October 29, 2015, community and healthcare leaders, gathered at Saint Thomas Midtown to celebrate. In the first 10 years, nearly $33 million dollars was donated in specialty care by physicians and hospitals and more than 24,000 patients were seen for specialty care needs.
Today The organization continues to thrive with more than 2100 members. Academy members represent 70 fields of practice, all local hospital medical staffs, the faculties and administration of Nashville’s two medical schools, local and state health departments and boards, and numerous health and paramedical agencies and organizations. Since its founding, the Academy has produced eight presidents of the American Medical Association and 47 presidents of the Tennessee Medical Association.